Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Taking pictures

Japanese Garden - Sydney, Australia - Bouganvillea Waterfall

Okay - I know that Facebook and the new world of life online demands photos, but I'm more circumspect about taking photographs.

In 2002 I travelled to Australia with a group. There was discussion about how much film people were taking. I mentioned I had 7 rolls of film. Two of the women laughed and and said, "Amateur."

During the course of my travels I may have used 3 rolls of film. I had my camera with me most of the time, but there really wasn't a lot that I wanted to capture on film. I have a pretty good opinion of my skills as a photographer and pretty much all of my photos were worth keeping.

My Dad was a photographer who had a very good sense about how to frame a shot. He got some great photos and I learned a lot from looking at his photographs.

On a trip to France with some friends we stopped for lunch and there was a pretty church nearby (that applies to most any spot in France). One friend scoped out his photograph and took his picture. And I changed my perspective a little and took my photo and as soon as he saw what I did he said, "That's the photo I wanted to take."

Okay - so I added that just amaze my readers about what a clever guy I am! But in truth, as much as I like photographs, I don't always enjoy the distraction caused by taking them. Not every moment in life needs to be a Kodak Moment. Sometimes it is enough to just be there.

No comments: