Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I'm a Hero

DC Metro Station interior Last Friday I was a hero. Okay - I didn't rescue a sea captain from pirates and I didn't rescue a baby from a burning building. I didn't even call 911 to report any number of crimes that were probably going on around the city.

I was a hero in the late 20th and early 21st Century sense of the word. Since we're all entitled to our 15 minutes or so of fame - heck if a psychotic woman can be famous for being Octo-Mom then I deserve fame for my heroic act, don't I?

Yet I didn't call a press conference to announce my act of heroism - I'm doing that here now on my blog. I figured I'd wait and let the rapture of Easter pale a little before taking the spotlight for myself.

My act of heroism? The noble deed that I did? I was walking into the Brookland Metro station and saw a cellphone lying on the ground. I picked it up and handed it to the Metro staff person in the kiosk. (I like the word kiosk.) I'm expecting Pat Collins from Channel 4 News to contact me soon for an on-air interview.

Speaking of Octo-Mom -- didn't Spiderman defeat her? Or am I thinking of someone else?

No comments: