Wednesday, April 22, 2009

San Francisco - by the Bay

exterior photo of St. Francis Mission
Greetings all - I am in surprisingly hot San Francisco, California. I arrived on Sunday afternoon and have been playing tourist and generally having fun.

On Sunday after an early flight that took me to Dallas and then over some beautiful desert and the Grand Canyon, I arrived and made my way to my temporary home in SF. The shuttle driver had other people to drop off so I had a scenic tour of SF, including Lombard Street.

Once settled in the Sunset neighborhood - west of downtown, I rested and then ventured out to meet a friend for dinner and we walked around the Castro neighborhood.

After a good night's sleep, I took off on Monday morning for the Mission District to tour the St. Francis Mission and the Basilica. The interior is quite impressive in an understated way. interior of St. Francis mission

That was the end of my sightseeing on Monday - the rest of the day I hung out with some friends.

Tuesday was a full day of sightseeing. I walked the Golden Gate Bridge (1.7 miles across). Then, if that wasn't enough, after lunch I walked from Fort Mason all the way up Russian Hill, then down and then up Telegraph Hill to the Coit Tower. Believe me - it didn't look that far on the map - and the map doesn't indicate the scale of the hills. My feet are still sore!

So today is going to be another quiet day!! I also managed to get some sun - thank goodness I bought a hat otherwise my little bald head would be burned!!

No comments: