Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Nostalgia - Back to school

Back to School - Crayons
On Sunday I was looking through the newspaper and the advertisements and saw the first push for the Back to School sales.

Years ago I realized how much I like Autumn - in part because my birthday is in October. I find that things begin in Autumn - my life began, school starts, concert band practices start up. All very good things. I love the colors and the cooler weather.

But I also miss the preparation for Fall and school. Shopping for new clothes. Buying new pencils, pens, notebook paper and a notebook. Everything was crisp and new and clean.

Sometimes in mid-August when I have been driving to visit family in West Virginia, I'd see cars packed to the roof as kids were heading off/back to college. I was envious - I miss it so much. You got to see your friends whom you didn't see over the summer and hear what folks did. There were new friends to meet and get to know. There was a new schedule and maybe new teachers.

These days the closest thing to that is getting back to Concert band after the summer break. I'll take that - First rehearsal is August 3.

No comments: