Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Living through change



The past year has been pretty challenging.

A year ago I was serving as the president of DC's Different Drummers and we were going through the process of saying good bye to our director of 10 years, Scott Barker, and selecting a new director - Joe Bello.

At work I was enduring a great deal of unpleasantness including false accusations and other insanity.

My mother became ill and died and within the past week a wonderful friend who was in good health a year ago passed away.

So like everyone else who is still alive and breathing, I'm left to sort through it all and keep going.

Band - we have a new president who is doing an excellent job. It is actually kinda fun to see the differences in her approach from mine as well as renewed enthusiasm. I take some pride in my accomplishments that puts us on the road we are now and I'm happy to see others stepping up to do that work.

Work - things finally came to a head back in December and the situation is much better. The current challenge for me is to get over the resentments that have built up over the past year. Though I don't think I should assume that it couldn't happen again.

My family - my siblings and I have moved into changed relationships without our parents around. That too is interesting. My nieces and nephews are becoming adults and being responsible. And we are working to settle the estate. Anyone want to buy a house in West Virginia?

Diana - for now there's some hand-holding and messages with other friends of Diana. In a week or so we'll have her funeral. A priest friend agreed to tend to scattering Diana's ashes (and those of her late mother). If I can I'll go on that trip to England. Also I have asked if my band could perform a medley of tunes from The Music Man. It is Diana's favorite musical and it features a librarian as a lead character. That will be in the fall and will allow me some closure.

I'll make it through all this change. With a little help from my friends!!