Monday, March 23, 2009

Tracking my friend Diana online

Interesting exercise.

I am searching the Internet for mentions of my friend Diana.

I have found a couple of mentions from her parish's online bulletin. One, a talk she gave in November 2006 about her piligrimage to the Holy Land and her remark on the moment of shared rationality and faith while at the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem she knelt to put her hand on the star that marks the spot where Christ was born.

Another mentions that the Lectionary and Sacramentary that she donated in memory of her mother Dorothy were blessed.

Next I found her appeal to fellow Anglicans back in 2005 as she was looking for friends of St. Benedict worldwide.

Then I found this wry self-introduction:

Smith, Diana submitted April 2002

With pint of Old Peculier in hand, I'll step up to intro myself:

My name is Diana Smith. I live in Washington DC and attend St Alban's Parish, in the shadow of the Washington National Cathedral. Such proximity has led to many happy listmeets with cyberfriends from all over...and I'm delighted to see some of you in the pub. (I note that there is no dart board in the pub....!). I first found Anglican cyberfriends when I joined the Anglican List, then hosted by American University's computers, sometime maybe in 1995 or 94?

Born and raised in Austintascious, I'm a cradle Episcopalian who wandered off during the 60s and came back in the (not red) front door in 1985, swearing I wouldn't be involved in parish life. As I finish a 3-year term on vestry, I am the first to admit the power of God's grace in my life!

I'm owned by a 7 year old cat named Scamp, who lives up to his name. At the present time, I'm the Library Mistress for the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, which insures bank deposits. Pretty dry for someone who majored in British History! However, I've been offered a buyout and an "early out", ie, take the annunity and run, so I am engaged in serious vocational discernment.

My interests are reading and travel, esp to Great Britain and Ireland.

Although I'm very likely to lurk, I'm equally happy to be here!


Update - I found this today (April 9) on a Google Group - soc.culture.scottish

Hey folks--just want to commemorate the passing of one of my very good friends; we had met some time back when I first started working in Washington, and she was one of the few who truly understood my love of things Scottish--a devoted Angophile in the midst of the capital of the Murkins, she was seen to be a bit squirrel-cage also, a bit off center--but aren't most librarians and extreme bibliophiles?--but, despite the fact she had more teapots than the Mad Hatter, she was warm and supportive and a good friend to have around. She will be missed. Peace to her memory--JML, who will hoist some Earl Grey in her honor]

No comments: