Monday, March 16, 2009

Rest in Peace - Diana Smith - 1950-2009


I got word that my friend Diana passed away in the wee small hours of Saturday morning, March 14. She was 58 1/2 years old.

God and others were good and I had a chance to stop by and see her after work. She was at home, in bed, her tabby cat Oscar sitting with her in bed. When I walked in and greeted Diana she opened her eyes and I take some comfort that she knew I was there and I was able to make my good-byes.

As one friend said - if God has a complaint department he figures that our friend was there in line on Saturday. Yes - we all know we'll eventually do this, but Diana should have had another 20 years or so. Maybe that's what Purgatory is - standing in line at the complaint desk until you realize you can just let it go and enter heaven and see God as He truly is. What blinding light!

The photo here is one I took on our one joint trip to England. We first went to Canterbury, then up into East Anglia and the villages of Woolpit, Ely, Walsingham and Norwich. This photo is at one of the Norman churches in East Anglia. My title for this has always been - Yoo-hoo, Vicar!.

We will miss you and look forward to joining you some day. Much love, thanks and appreciation.

1 comment:

d-figuerero said...

I remember Diana's quirky sense of humor...she seemed so dry yet she was always to willing to look at the amusing side of a situation. Remember that time we went to dinner at De Carlo's with her mother? Now, there were two ladies with personalities! She was no nonsense but direct, fair and you knew were you stood with her. I always felt comfortable in her presence. I'll miss her old answering machine message (the "Queen Victoria is not amused" one), her easy funny laugh, and I will mourn the fact that our world is minus one decent gentle soul.